"Differentiation is the way a teacher responds to a student's needs."
Preassessment
"The initial stage of differentiation involves preassessment BEFORE planning for instruction."
1."Previewing the material should not be a long drawn out lesson...5 minutes or less."
2. Plan for valuable enrichment and opportunities to accelerate within the content topic.
3. Preassessment must measure understanding only in the areas being assessed.
4. Preassessment should include application of the skill and at least one above-level or accelerated indicator.
5. Preassessment and teaching of the same topic on the same day should be avoided.
I would like to try this next year in at least a few of my units, specifically those that have some review material in them, to get a better idea of this process.
Curriculum Compacting
"Curriculum compacting is an instructional strategy that streamlines grade-level curriculum by eliminating content that students have previously learned."
"Compacting buys time for students to go deeper and wider into the content and/or accelerate to above-grade-level indicators."
"Preassessment plays a major role in determining candidates for curriculum compacting.
1. If a student shows great interest.
2. A student that consistently finishes work early and accurately.
3. Those students who often create their own diversions in class.
"Instruction at (the student's) readiness level is what they need, not a worksheet, independent activity, or more of the same."
I can see this definitely working in the math classroom. It will definitely take some prior planning with the preassessment and selecting the enrichment activities.
Flexible Grouping
"Preassessment and compacting are necessary components when creating flexible small groups in the classroom."
I would like to see this happen more in my classroom. Steps to getting to this point will take some additional planning.
1. Writing preassessment
2. Analyzing preassessment results BEFORE the unit begins
3. Creating activities and learning opportunities for each group of students for where they are at
4. Finding/writing enrichment activities to accelerate learning
Two instructional groups at the secondary level.
Easier to manage and plan for!
Management
"Clear expectations are the single most important aspect of managing multiple groups in the classroom."
~ "What are students supposed to do when they are done with their work?"
Anchor activities (similar to centers but are typically available for the duration of a unit)
- need to find enrichment activities for the unit's content
- enrichment to go deeper into the subject area
- NOT BUSY WORK!
- Natural extension of student learning
- Google anchor activities, check out Resource section for recommended sites
~ "What should they do if they need help and you are working with another group of students?"
Acceleration and Enrichment
"Enrichment...going deep and wide into the content."
~ "Can students apply the skill?"
~ "Can they think critically about the content?"
~ "Do students have the ability to reason with the material?"
"Add a thin layer of enrichment before acceleration."
"Acceleration...going forward."
I loved this section and the definitions for acceleration and enrichment! In the past, I have used enrichment pieces but with the whole class. Changing my way of thinking to flexible grouping to develop skills and then using the enrichment pieces with the groups as they need them will definitely enhance the learning in my classroom!
Formative Assessment
"Formative assessment, or checking for understanding, is non-negotiable in a responsive, growth mindset classroom."
~ "...assessments, reviews, and observations..."
~ "...used to improve instructional methods and provide student feedback..."
~ "keep it simple"
1. responses to various questions (exit cards, using technology, verbal, thumbs up)
2. using a 3-2-1 (3 things I learned, 2 things I question, 1 thing I want to learn more about)
3. observations
I have used the 3-2-1 strategy after quizzes...how much more beneficial to use it BEFORE the assessment! I need to do better on student responses as a way to assess learning. My main fall back is observations as I facilitate throughout the classroom when students are working independently or presenting on the board.
"Grades for homework should indicate completion, not accuracy, especially when students are still on the pathway to understanding."
I loved reading this! This matches my philosophy on math learning to the T!!! I have always stated this exact reasoning to parents when I explain the part that homework plays in my classroom. This next year, I have tweaked my expectations a little. While I still expect students to always complete their homework to practice the skills needed for understanding, I will no longer give out 0% if they do not do their homework. When I gave out 0%, the student essentially was getting a double whammy in the sense that their homework grade was lowered, and ultimately from not doing the homework, their quiz grade was lowered as well. Next year, students will get a 100% for completing their homework as they practice the new skills. If a homework is not complete, students can make up the work BEFORE the quiz for 75%.
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment