Just got back from Hawaii.
It was beautiful.
Sunny.
Amazing.
Monday morning, though, was hard to get back into the classroom.
To turn my thoughts away from water and sun
Back to math and Pythagorean's Theorem.
To help the transition for both the students and myself,
I designed a lesson connected to what had been going on in my classroom the previous week.
I introduced some facts in the form of "Find the Fib" about Humpback whales,
Projected some pictures of actual whale sightings,
and then played some audio of a whale "singing".
To connect this all to math, we drew out the right triangle for the following problem.
(I'd show my drawing, but it looks nothing like a whale...more like a flying seal)
I had one flaw in my math problem, though.
But I was thrilled to learn that the students found it rather quickly,
Showing me that they had learned something when I was away!
The almost-wrong problem, turned out to be a great learning tool, despite my attempt at creating a related situation.
Therefore, showing, that we can learn even from mistakes!
Rigor: Applying
Relevance: Predictable...turned unpredictable!
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.




No comments:
Post a Comment