So, I heard about HowToons at MACE
It's part comic book, part how-to build, create, and explore new things
And got to thinking that it just might be the thing
We need to incorporate to understand how to solve systems of equations in Algebra.
I love the idea!
And I think we can use Comic Life to construct it.
The only thing I'm not sure of is how do I get the "super heroes"?
I can see some playing around with HowToons in my future!
After playing around, here's what I found...
~ ToonDoo is a free public site, or for a fee you can become a member of the school site
Love this blog! So many resources!
~ WittyComics...create a comic with two character dialogue
~ Super Hero Squad Show...templates to create a comic strip or book that can be downloaded
~ Write Comics ...no registration, free templates
~ BeFunky...change photos into comic characters (It's also an iPad app)
~ Chogger
~ From Free Technology for Teachers...Favorite Resources, Free eBooks
~ Browse infographics around the web using visual.ly
My first attempt...combining Write Comics with Comic Life on the laptop.
1. I first created the templates (backgrounds with characters) on Write Comics and took screen shots.
2. After putting the screen shots into my iPhoto library, I chose a Comic Life template, and inserted the pictures into the template.
3. I then added the math content of explaining how to solve a system of equations by substitution.
After analyzing a few more HowToons I added numbered steps so the process is easy to follow.
Elements of a HowToon
1. How-To build, create, or as our math class dictates, how to solve.
2. Color
3. Cartoons
4. Numbered Process
5. Themed pictures to content
Some writecomics.com How-To's that I learned from my students!
1. To delete a character...double click.
2. To type in dialogue...pick a dialogue box, click on it in the screen and a dialogue box appears below the screen.
3. Lots of options! You can choose from a large list of people, props, aliens, and animals.
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.




This is a great idea!! Do you sell/share your cartoons anywhere - TPT?
ReplyDelete