Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Chaos
This is so So SO true!
With implementing new technology ideas into the classroom
Things can get VERY chaotic!
First, there's the planning of the new idea.
My mind races with all the ideas, possibilities, to do lists, organization, etc.
The brain chaos that follows the idea might just be enough to drive me back to the same ol', same ol'.
But, there is a spark of creativity that draws me in.
So I proceed with the lesson planning,
worksheet making,
rubric writing,
resource gathering,
example creating....
Once I see the big picture
With all the necessary steps in place
Excitement starts to build.
I can't wait to implement this new idea!
As I introduce the new unit/lesson/activity/project
I see the excitement start to spread throughout the room.
Yes! This is going to work!
THEN.....
The questions start.
They find my loopholes in the project.
Things start to spiral downhill.
I'm racing around like a chicken with his head cut off,
Trying to keep everyone going, on task.
At every turn, another student pops up with yet another question.
I can't keep up!
What happened to my great plan?
Chaos has reared his ugly head.
The key.
Keep calm.
The master key?
If you can't answer a student's question about a technology question, ask the class.
There is a student out there that knows.
I guarantee it.
They have never failed me.
As we start to gain control of the chaos,
We realize that we also have a wonderful collaborative environment
That would not have been created had chaos not first appeared.
I have also realized that through the chaos comes wonderful learning moments.
Some chaos can and should be avoided.
For example, the more pre-planning that goes into a lesson, the less organizational chaos there seems to be.
Some chaos should be welcomed with open arms as it moves not only the student's thinking, but also the teacher's as well.
Labels:
Reflection
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment