One of the questions I encountered while going through our staircase/slope unit, was knowing where each student was in the learning process. I had a copy of the rubric for each student that I would keep notes on, but this didn't prove to be the best tool for the job.
Ch. 7 offers the perfect solution.
Task Management Grid - A grid with all the tasks that students need to complete along the top and students names along the side. The teacher (or student) can cross off tasks as they complete them so they can see the whole picture of their learning.
Content Facilitation Grid - Perfect for the teacher. Along the top, list all the content that students are meant to master during the unit. If you look horizontally, you get a good picture of each student's learning. If you look at each vertical column, the teacher can make decisions on their instructional impact.
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment