Thursday, March 8, 2012

Another Use for Socrative

Yesterday, we finished taking the 3rd interim.
Today, I wanted to know what standards needed more review.
Since the interims don't offer that little nugget of information
I turned to my students.

I asked them to think back on the questions they encountered on the test
And then relay the information to me through Socrative.com


I phrased the questions very simply,
"I need help with central tendencies (mean, median, and mode)"
in easy to understand language with examples where needed.
My students are not versed in the state standards.
In fact, we don't talk about them as standards at all,
Merely referring to them as concepts needed to help them out in high school.

On the teacher end, I marked the "right" answer as no.
I then disabled the correct answer response when the students took the test.
By doing this, I had a color coded reference sheet on which indicators needed more attention.

I have taken the student's name off of my example, but this also helps our individual tutoring planning as we can see where the student's are finding difficulty.

I also liked this because students were self-assessing their understanding.
They weren't just relying on me for direction,
But had a direct part in their learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment