Monday, September 2, 2013

Goals for the New School Year

Just like the New Year's resolutions written each January,
I write new goals for each new school year.

Last year's goal could have been summarized in four words, "Survive Common Core Transition".
I dabbled...okay, I really dove right in...to integrating Common Core lessons in place of the worn out Kansas Standards.

This year, my goals seem more specific.
After doing the NesTea plunge into DOK levels, Math Practices, and the new standards,
I knew this year would be all about fine tuning.
Tweaking.
Adjusting.

Goal #1:  Use Common Curriculum as my main lesson planning tool.
Last year I found the Common Curriculum website and dabbled in this online lesson planning option.
Then this summer, I got an email inviting me as a free lifetime member!
This online lesson planner has many functions that actually help me in the area of planning out these complicated CCS lessons.



A.  The Template - I can design my own lesson template with areas to record the DOK and Math Practice, each day's Learning Target, the Literacy component, my assessment, and also the homework.  I can use as much room as I need to record each day's activities, thoughts, and questions I plan to use.

B.  The Ease - I can add, delete, or move lessons around according to my student's needs.  I can reflect and make changes as I go for a reference down the road.

C.  The Communication - I can share sections of my plans on my classroom blog.  This simplifies communication of homework assignments...I type it in once and know that students can find it on the blog!

Goal #2:  Taking Care of Business the first 3 minutes of class
Each day, the students have some business to take care of before we actually get to the lesson.  They must copy down the learning target and do whatever the business is for that day:  write vocab definitions, solve a problem, get out supplies, etc.  

Goal #3:  Learning Targets
Each day, students will know what the learning target is and can assess at the end of class if they individually were able to reach the target.

No comments:

Post a Comment