In response to a negative perspective on the Common Core...
I have been loving the challenges that the Common Core has introduced me to. My teaching has improved...not faltered...because of these standards. It is true that there is not a curriculum out there that is the best to use, so that is why I create all my lessons to best meet the curriculum that the Common Core standards set out for us but yet that also meet the needs of my students. As a teacher, I feel that it is very important to keep learning and the Common Core curriculum standards have given us that opportunity.
I have continued learning in...
1) Content Knowledge - with new objectives being introduced at each level, teachers must make sure they have a deeper understanding of the curriculum to best teach to the students.
2) Creating a More Rigorous Curriculum - With going deeper into the curriculum, (also known as Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels), students are not just getting the basic skills but being taught in a manner than requires more analysis in real world situations.
3) Math Practices - The Common Core curriculum does not just cover what to teach, but also how to best teach the students. The 8 math practices are things that we have always done, but now are focusing on because they do help lead students to better understanding of the curriculum. The math practices include: perseverance, reasoning skills, justifying our solutions, making math models, using appropriate tools, finding patterns, being precise, and using structure of math problems to deepen understanding.
4) Best practices for teaching - with creating my own curriculum, I am able to pick and choose activities and/or write my own lessons that utilize class time the best. The internet has a plethora of great lessons out there already connected to the Common Core standards. Do I teach them as I find them? Usually not. I will tweak the idea so it again best serves my students' learning.
5) Literacy - Reading, writing, speaking, and listening are skills needed across the curriculum. Even though this is nothing new to classroom teachers, the common core standards allows for this with tools such as close reads and text complexity measures.
As far as it just being a set of standardized tests, the tests haven't even been written. From what I understand it will no longer be all multiple choice but also open-ended.
To sum it up, the Common Core really isn't as scary as some are making it sound. It is new content to teach in some aspect, but the methods used to improving student learning are just defined in new terminology with new assistance out there for teachers to utilize this in one whole package deal. I am thinking that the teachers interviewed in this article do not have all the puzzle pieces put in place...they do not understand the whole picture and the freedoms that the Common Core actually gives them. For example, I have created more problem based units/lessons than I ever have in the past.
I know you probably weren't expecting such a passionate answer. I am just wanting you to see my side of this great debate. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment