Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's Not the Harvest, It's the Seeds Planted

After 19 years of jumping out of bed with a to-do list a mile long,
My reasons for returning to the classroom year after year are made clear every May.

At the end of every year, I have students complete an evaluation of my teaching.
It's a risk.
I know.
I am opening myself up to 14-year-old honesty.
Which can be brutal at times.
(Believe me...there are still a few responses that have left scars in the memory).
But 14-year-old honesty is the best mirror for helping me improve my teaching.

Their responses have ultimately taught me that building a relationship with each and every one of my students is essential.
It's essential to their learning.
It's essential for them to feel acceptance in my classroom.
It's essential for them to be allowed to make mistakes...and then to learn from their mistakes.

But the question that makes it all worthwhile
Does not focus on what I need to do to improve,
Or what activities best met their learning styles...
It's the last question of the survey,
"What did you learn that will help you in the future that isn't math related?"
While math is important and the reason I have a job,
I am more interested in my students finding success wherever their journey takes them.
And to this end, through my math lessons, I always hope that other little seeds that I plant can take root for the bigger picture...the rest of their life.

As I read over the responses this weekend,
I had to smile.
While it is not time to harvest yet, I know that some of the seeds had found furtive soil.

"Don't judge each day by the harvest that you reap, but by the seeds that you plant."  
Robert Louis Stevenson

"What did you learn that will help you in the future that isn't math related?"

~ Confidence ~
~ To try my hardest ~
~ Presenting in front of others ~
~ To not be afraid to ask for help ~
~ My attitude towards people ~
~ To keep pursuing my goals ~
~ If I try, I can achieve anything ~
~ To keep a good attitude ~
~ To be positive ~

No comments:

Post a Comment