Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Flexible Seating



With the new year, I started using new seating options.
And boy, we have had to be flexible to get used to this new idea!
I'm all about keeping things real,
So here's the crazy we have had to work through and the positives that they have offered.

Middle schoolers will gravitate towards the different.
When allowed to choose their seating at their designated tables the first day,
Most students chose the spheres.
Very few had their first choice be the "normal" chairs.
The students who were assigned to the tall tables seem to love it.
Most sat on the stools.

Parents night was interesting.
The adults DID NOT choose the spheres.
But the tall tables were in hot demand,
With parents standing behind the table, not even using the bar stools.

They are chairs, not trampolines.
Probably the biggest hurdle we have had to work on is understanding that the spheres are still chairs.
While some bouncing, swaying, movement is totally acceptable and anticipated,
Going for new height records is not.

Also, these are not those little rolley carts used by mechanics to scoot under vehicles.
There is no need to "recline" under the table,
Unless you have been told to remove all the gum illegally stuck under there!

Cooperation is a must.
With everyone wanting a sphere, tables must come up with a plan to share the spheres.
So far, keeping my fingers crossed, I have not heard any arguments over spheres.

When testing, the tall tables pose a problem.
My testing partitions don't fit the rectangular shape of these tables like they fit my square tables.
Also when one is seated higher than the others, it's easier to look over to those down below.
But with my numbers this year, I have been able to adjust for assessments.
Only two students on tall tables.
One on each side.
The one on the "back" side is the one closest to the square table.
Trying to keep all eyes on their own papers!

Creating an atmosphere where choice is valued.
Today when we were getting ready for the diagnostic,
I had a student request a regular chair instead of a sphere.
I saw another start the class on the sphere, and then slide over to a regular chair.
I love how they are choosing seating options that will fit the situation.
During the assessment, a student on a bar stool requested to sit on the floor.
I quickly got her a clipboard,
And she is now working away, looking much more comfortable.

I still have some kinks to work out with how to incorporate the two gamer chairs and the two bungee chairs.  
What's fair?
When is it appropriate to use them?
Probably will need more clipboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment