Thursday, October 14, 2010

Current Event math (Relevance in the classroom)

After celebrating the successful removal of all 33 Chilian miners this week, I got to thinking about all the math associated with this event. A project-based learning (PBL) opportunity came to mind, where I could add relevance and rigor into my classroom along with the math standards that are tested in April. Would need to work a bit to add the technology component.

Students measure the students in the classroom to create a replicate pod to extract the miners (if they were middle school size) from the collapsed mine.
~ Central Tendencies
Students come up the dimensions of a pod that would work if our math class were trapped in a mine.
~ Circumference of a circle
~ Area of a circle

Would Sketch Up work to create the design??

IDEA! Maybe I could incorporate this into my Moving on Up class to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment