Monday, October 4, 2010

The Goal - Where I Would Like to Be

With 2 1/2 technology projects under my belt (the tic-tac-toe project kind of fell apart as the Word and Smartboard software was not up and running on the new laptops), I feel like I need to be heading in a different direction as far as infusing technology into the math curriculum. So far, we have worked on one math indicator for each project. With the technology portion of the lesson seeming to take longer than I would like, I am going to have to steer towards projects that cover more than indicator.

A quick summary of my projects to this point:
1) An Average Ad - technology was used to gather data and then create an ad/commercial.
2) Real Numbers - technology was used to research information and then create a lesson using powerpoint or Smartboard.

I would like to create a project that hits more than one indicator in a real-to-life setting. No more presentations. It would be awesome if the project actually benefitted someone or something with the information we produced. I really like the intersection project that the 6th graders at Prosperity put together. They were using math skills in a real life setting.

The question now is: What project will incorporate one or more of the 8th grade tested indicators? I've spoken with my brother who is a construction engineer, Tracey Gould, and Mr. Naccarato for ideas. Here's what I have so far, although specific details have not been ironed out or even thought of at this point.

Sketch Up - remodel the classroom (proportions, percents)
Excel - algebraic formulas, lines of best fit (not tested)

Hmmmm...I think I need more ideas.

More Ideas
1. http://www.remc11.k12.mi.us/bstpract/bpIII/086/086.PDF (scale factors)
2. http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=L728 (Slope)
3. http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=L769 (Slope-intercept)
4. http://www.ciese.org/curriculum/popgrowthproj/standards.html (population growth, algebra, real time data)
5. http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/2097/315/1/AllenSylvester2007.pdf (project based 8th grade math investigation)

No comments:

Post a Comment