I made my first wall on wallwisher. Very cool! Was excited to try it out in the classroom, but there was a glitch and the site manager had to fix the problem. Alas, he/she wasn't able to fix it in time so I wasn't able to use it. Bummer! The lesson went on, following plan B, which turned out to be quite successful, but I was hoping to use a new found tool to help our move our thinking.

The lesson? We've been studying how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers. The students were supposed to write as many ways to find -3 as they could. We then shared these, trying to find all the combinations. For example, once two students reported a problem in the same format (-24 ÷ 8 and -9 ÷ 3) then we closed up that example and had to find a new way (-3 x 1). The multiplying problem brought on a new question, how many multiplication problems could we find to get a product of -3. I was thrilled by the answers! One student said that using the commutative property we could only get two (-3 x 1 and -1 x 3). Another student said that was correct as -3 was a prime number with only two factors. Wow! I loved seeing the vocabulary in action! I then introduced the problem -1/2 x 6. This really got the discussion going as they thought we were only using integers! I absolutely love seeing math learning take hold in the classroom!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment