Wednesday, June 22, 2011

iCal or Google Calendar?

I'm needing to make a decision.
Should I continue to use my iCal (which I can sync to my iPad)?
OR should I export my iCal events into a Google Calendar (which I can access anywhere I have internet)?

As I ponder on how to make my life easier...
I'm going to record the steps of how to export an iCal calendar into a Google one.
It's actually very easy.

Exporting an iCal Calendar

  1. In Apple iCal, select the calendar from the list of calendars in the iCal window.
  2. Select File > Export.
  3. Name the calendar, then save it.
Importing the Calendar into Google Calendar
  1. In Google Calendar, ensure that you've created the calendar that you'd like to migrate events to. Then, at the bottom of the calendar list on the left, click the Add down-arrow button and select Import Calendar.
  2. Click Browse and select the appropriate file, then select Open.
  3. From the drop-down menu, select the calendar to which you'd like to import events.
  4. Click Import to complete the import.
This will have to be done with every iCal Calendar you have created. 
I have six.
I will become an exporter/importer six times to move my life and those that I love to the cloud.

Speaking of calendars, I'm also thinking of keeping a calendar of events for my classes.  Possibly sharing it with my students via a blog or Google Docs.  To keep this separate from my personal events, I'm going to use my school Google Account for that calendar.  

I'm starting to see the beauty of having two Google Accounts!

No comments:

Post a Comment