A transition between the familiar and the unknown.
A change from the state standards to the common core.
In parts of my life, I am not a huge fan of change.
I like things to stay the same.
I'm not big on surprises.
However, in my classroom, I embrace change.
Change is about the only thing constant in the classroom.
My students change.
Technology changes.
Schedules change.
Lessons change.
The list could go on and on.
So needless to say, I am ready for the change to common core.
I went into this year with the mindset of starting the common core journey.
I wasn't going to let the mathematical practices, the DOK levels, and the new standards scare me.
What I wasn't prepared for was getting caught in the middle.
Caught in the middle of the state standards and the common core.
Moving to the common core is a challenge in itself.
Moving to the common core and weaving the old state standards into these new lessons is quite frankly, overwhelming.
It basically boils down to this...
There is not enough time.
With full implementation of the common core in two years,
It only makes sense to start "dabbling" with common core lessons.
With students being tested on the state standards these next two years,
It only makes sense to keep teaching the state standards.
And, thus, we are caught in the middle.
We have two areas of focus.
Do we move forward?
Do we stay where we are?
Do we try to do both?
No comments:
Post a Comment