Getting Started With the Big Picture in Mind
We started with listing famous slogans and guessing the company. This also was a great ice breaker as we had a mixed group of 7th and 8th graders. I knew I had to get them comfortable with each other so they would be able to work together and produce a product for our ad campaign later in the day.
Just Do It!
Think Outside the Bun
Save Money, Live Better
Eat Fresh
Then we took our thinking up a notch...what did all of these have in common?
They draw people in
They are catchy
Positive
Short
We had just established our goal for creating our slogan!
Zooming In on the Details
Now we had to get the details in place. What were we going to do for the rest of the day? We opened up our LiveBinder to read over the TASK statement and rubric.
Students really seemed to start jumping on board at this point once they understood the direction we were heading. They quickly realized we needed to come up with a slogan...and so the work began.
Brainstorming the Slogan
In small groups, students talked about what they like about RVMS...why others should choose to go to RVMS...what makes us so special. Some groups used a slogan generator found the LiveBinder, but all that did was help bring up some good words to try to incorporate.
We brought all the groups together and started listed the choices. I explained that during a brainstorm session, all suggestions would be written down and that no judgements would be voiced as we just threw ideas out there.
After all ideas were on the board, we quickly realized that we were not looking at our slogan. One student asked if he could walk around. I didn't see how that would hurt, and so some started walking around my classroom looking for inspiration. Within a few minutes, we were huddled together around the board again, throwing out ideas. I just kept writing. After about 30 minutes, we knew we had nailed it down.
RVMS Opens Doors To Success
We loved the visual of the doors. We knew we could come up with graphics and metaphors with this easy symbol. A door.
The Campaign
Our next brainstorm was to list all the products that our campaign could include.
TV Commercial (video)
Radio Commercial (audio and/or a jingle)
Still ad (newspaper)
Billboard
Flyers, Brochures (to realtors)
Infographic
Editorial
T-Shirt
Carnival
Just as I was about to announce how we would apply for each "job", it came to me...did we need to have a common logo throughout our campaign? I brought it up with my group. They all agreed.
Designing the Logo
So we were off to work again. This time in small groups to brainstorm and sketch out ideas for our logo.
After students were immersed in this task, I googled opening door images and projected it for us to get ideas. We talked about what would make a good logo...simplicity, represents us, etc. We looked at color, design, and what each image said.
As we discussed, I noticed one girl with her head bent over her paper, hard at work. I walked over to see what was taking all of her attention. She was busy drawing our logo. I asked if I could project it for the others to see. She agreed. The others loved it and offered suggestions to incorporate the things we had just talked about it. She agreed to them.
We then made our first executive decision. She would be our art department!
So as the others filled out job applications, stating their qualifications and reasons for their top three project choices, she got to work. At one point, she couldn't figure out how to make the door, so she took my paper mache bobcat and placed him in the doorway to get the angles she needed to get down on paper.
Using Aviary, we made our logo blue.
Let's Get Rolling...
After a short break so I could look over the student applications and assign "jobs", the students got busy. It was intense at times as we had to trouble shoot various areas and fun-filled as we saw the fruits of our labor all at the same time. As we reflected at the end, reread the rubric, we were encouraged as we viewed the end result.


No comments:
Post a Comment