Friday, April 29, 2016

Insurance Policy





To be honest, I sometimes have no clue where my ideas come from.
They will strike out of no where at times.
And at other times, I make myself think outside the box with the question "How else could I do this?" guiding me.

Today was one of those days.

We have been learning the properties of integer exponents all week.
Today, we needed to review for the quiz.
My first thought was I could do the same ol' Traveling review that the kids love that we do at least once a month.
My second thought was do Happy Trails which is basically all the questions from a worksheet cut up and clothes-pinned to my testing partitions.  Students move silently from station to station answering the questions.
The positive is that it gets kids moving, while still practicing the math concepts.

However, we had been doing a lot of "seatwork" practice during the week and I needed to spice things up a bit.

And then out of no where, the quiz insurance thought popped up.

Insurance is bought to provide assistance if needed later on.
Students would "buy" there insurance by answering any number of the 42 problems I had in the stations.
For every three questions they got correct, they would earn 1 percentage point towards there quiz on Monday.

The students loved this!
Amazingly, they were able to complete 42 problems in 25 minutes.
I attribute this to the "not talking" factor.
Now while I usually encourage communication about math problems, for this insurance to work on the quiz, all the work had to be done individually.

It looked like a well oiled machine...students moving around the room in total silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment