Questions are part of a teacher's every day life.
I might even go as far as to say every moment of a teacher's life seems to be consumed with questions.
Questions from kids. Asking questions to kids. Reflection questions for lessons...
Research actually says that teachers ask on average two questions per minute,
400 questions per day, or 70,000 questions per year.
Whenever I ask a question in class, the behind the scenes thought process is always focused on yet another question...
"How will this question best move my students' thinking?"
A question guiding a question.
Even when students ask me a question in class, I answer with a question to help guide their thinking.
But yesterday my eyes were opened to the makings of a student-constructed question and how a well-thought out question can literally change the lesson!
A good question has thinking as its foundation.
Thinking is critical. In any situation. But I would also include when asking a good question, that thinking must be at the center of the question. The student that has been thinking through the concepts and has identified the areas of disconnect in their understanding will ask a question that can lead to more learning.
A good question encompasses hope.
When the student asked her question, it was specific according to her understanding at the time. By asking the question, she had hope that once an explanation was given she would finally understand. As her teacher, it also offered me hope as I knew exactly what she was needing.
A good question includes wonderment and awe.
For students to move their thinking they often jump to "What would happen if???" These questions demonstrate understanding of the current concepts but are quick to point out that thought has occurred to include a situation or problem not yet presented.
I think sometimes my students might get tired of all the questions. And I would agree. Too many questions are not necessarily a good thing. We need to make our questions count. Our questions need to be intended to move our thinking towards a better understanding. This brings me to Bloom's which is whole other level...no pun intended. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment