Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Whiteboard Dumps

A big shout out to Shannon Ralph from Dodge City for sharing this idea!
Whiteboard dumps.
However, I have learned that using the term dump with certain middle schoolers doesn't work.

Anyway, putting the name aside, the concept is fabulous.

Yesterday, I used it as a pre-assessment of sorts.
Students had dry erase markers and had to take turns "dumping" whatever they knew about angles onto their whiteboard.
As the boards started to fill up, I could see what they initially thought of when the term angles came to mind.

To pull out more data, I drew a set of parallel lines and a transversal on the board.  This inspired many students as they their prior knowledge was jogged a bit more.




After this initial brainstorm, teams shared a concept with the whole class by writing it on the classroom board what they had included in their's.
And a great math conversation was born.
We were able to make connections between concepts,
Expand on concepts,
And do some informal teaching if needed.



A drawback I found from using the whiteboards was when we were recording items on the classboard, students were only able to participate verbally and visually, but were unable to record any new learning in their notes.

A bonus though that happened naturally, those students that needed to write, would add to their whiteboard what was being discussed with the whole class.  I was glad they were able to bring in the writing piece to help them learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment