Mathematics and the Path to Equity
What a timely chapter as we grappled with our math classes this year.
To do or not to do an Algebra class?
"Math is a beautiful subject with ideas and connections that can inspire all students. But too often we separate students into those with the math gene and those without."
Yes.
I would agree.
I am excited to see what can happen when students don't see the "labels" we inadvertently put on them by placing them in 8th grade math and Algebra. Every year. Every year I would hear when I'd share a solution by a student from another class, the standard response was, "Oh, was it an Algebra student?" Even though I never spoke of the two classes and how students were placed in them, the students knew.
Equitable Strategies to benefit all students
1. Offer all students high-level content
More strategies will be given in Ch. 7, but the U.S. offers fewer students high-level mathematics than other countries do.
Low-floor high-ceiling problems...one of my goals for this year.
2. Work to change ideas about who can achieve in mathematics
The mindsets held by TEACHERS open or close pathways for students.
3. Encourage student to think deeply about mathematics
Students need to pursue the questions of why, when, and how methods work.
Yep. It's been on my bulletin board as my learning philosophy for many years now. I do like the "when" part. "When" do you I need to use this? "When" will this strategy come in handy?
4. Teach students to work together.
Research has shown the advantages of students working together for mathematical understanding.
5. Give girls and students of color additional encouragement to learn learn math and science.
When class starts with a review of homework, inequities are magnified, with some students starting each day behind the other students.
Instead of homework, give reflection questions that encourage students to think back on the mathematics of the lesson and focus on the big ideas. This goes hand in hand with my interactive notebook implementation this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment