Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ramping Up With Rigor and Relevance...A Lesson Learned

It's year 2 of TRC.
Our school has rolled out more than 200 iPads.
Our academic focus this year is to ramp up the rigor and relevance of our lessons.


A busy school year so far.
It's October 13 and I feel like I can finally breathe.

Relevance was ramped up with in our Real Number unit, thanks to my student teacher and a skyping opportunity with a wireline engineer.

Now it's my turn.
My brain has been flipping through ideas like a rolodex.
I get an idea, mull it over for a bit,
Before discarding it and flipping to the next one.

During this process I've learned two things.
1)  I thought that ramping up a lesson meant that I had to integrate a HUGE project.
2)  I like to have control over the learning that occurs in my classroom...which hinders me from getting to the unpredictable real life learning moments.

Once I started leafing through lessons designated in the C and D quadrants from the graph above, it quickly became apparent that lessons do not have to be HUGE.  With a few little adjustments, a lesson that I already have in place can be moved from one quadrant to another.

Secondly, if I let go of the control freak that I am, I just might learn a thing or two as I watch the lesson unfold with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment