Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sometimes It Can Be Scary

Sometimes it can be scary to try new things in the classroom.
Sometimes the same ol' same ol' is easier to incorporate.
But sometimes the same ol' same ol' can get, well, old.
Sometimes the same ol' same ol' doesn't fit the needs of our current students.
Sometimes the same ol' same ol' doesn't push our kids.

Trying new lessons means more prep work for the teacher.
The overall idea.
Tying the idea to the standards.
Moving the lesson to the highest level of rigor
And then making sure it is relevant for today's student.

New lessons tend to increase anxiety levels.
How will the kids respond?
What are the pitfalls that I need to look out for ahead of time?
What materials do I need to have?
In what order should we do things?
What if this happens?
What if that happens?
What if no learning occurs?
What if the students struggle too much?
What if it flops?

What we really need to ask ourselves is...
What if it succeeds?
What if...by taking a chance...we actually engage our students?
What if the engaged students actually take their learning to a new level?
Maybe communication levels increase?
Maybe students can use their creativity in, of all things, math class!

For years, I was doing the same ol' same ol'.
Taking the entire class out to measure shadows and then illustrating this on a piece of paper.
Check out last year's lesson when we actually used technology instead of paper/pencil to illustrate the shadow drawings.

This year, I decided to shake things up again.
I kept the shadows but differentiated the lesson so students had a choice on their project.
Instead of one controlled topic...
I had six!
Students were all over the place.
In the gym, outside, on the internet, and in the library.








But they were engaged.
They were active in the learning process!

I took out the "how to" portion and left students on their own.
I answered questions with questions.

I incorporated the iPads instead of the laptops.
Students had to develop their plan, or storyboard, for their ScreenChomp presentation.





They had a choice.
They had a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment