I believe in the FISH! philosophy.
It's posted in my room,
In big, colorful fish,
Reminding us daily to keep a positive attitude, integrate fun, be in the moment, and make each other's day.
State assessments can be really draining.
I mean, it's not like students come skipping into my room
Excited to take YET ANOTHER test.
I try to integrate a little fun and positive spirit into the test taking experience.
Our Stick-To-It Campaign moves into Phase 2 during this week.
Instead of handing out sticky items: gum, candy, band-aids, post-it notes, glitter sticks, and blue painter's tape,
I hand out stick snacks...pretzel sticks and honey graham sticks.
But, probably the thing that is asked for more than food, is for me to deliver math sprinkles to each student.
Imagine this.
Students sitting at their desks.
Awaiting the little white testing ticket.
The teacher moves around the room,
Wiggling her fingers as her arms move in wide circles above each student's head
Delivering a day's worth of math sprinkles.
A little happiness for the journey to come.
It's silly, really.
But students claim it really does work.
They always come back asking for more sprinkles! :)
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment