Thursday, April 19, 2012

Like Terms...Not Just for Algebra Homework

On Monday, in my spare time, I planned out teacher appreciation gifts for my leaders at church on Wednesday nights.
For my 24 leaders, I created a thank you tag that simply said, "Thanks for helping our kids GROW in the word of God.  You are AW esome and we appreciate you PoPpINg in every week".  With this gift, I would include an A&W soda, a bag of popcorn and a packet of flower seeds.
For my 14 monitors, the gift tag stated, "Thanks for helping our kids GROW in the word of God.  You are AW esome!"...seeds and an A&W were needed.
And finally, for my 7 nursery workers an A&W soda was accompanied by the saying, "You are AW esome!  Thanks for watching our little ones this year!"


I presented this information to my students and very quickly they calculated my shopping list:  24 bags of popcorn, 45 cans of A&W, and 38 packets of seeds.


Transition to algebra...


Instead of my lengthy verbal description of my shopping list, I simply could have written it like this:


24f + 24a + 24p + 14f + 14a + 7a


"Light bulbs" were shining all over my classroom as students saw the connection!   Like terms is not just something that we find in algebra homework...it's all around us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment