Wednesday, November 17, 2010

SMART Venn Diagrams

Students analyzed and used higher level thinking skills to compare simple and compound probabilities.  I first had them come up on their own (with the help of their notes) items to place in the diagram.  I then showed them the words that I had come up with and had them place these in the diagram.  One by one students came up to the Smartboard to drag an item to its appropriate place.  This proved to be an excellent opportunity to review each skill and show how it compared to the other indicators.  


To stretch their thinking, we even pulled in Predicting Probabilities.  It was interesting how some of the same items we had placed before had to be moved now that we had a 3rd circle.


In my last class, we dove a little deeper and added the 4th circle.  They wanted to know how a Venn Diagram worked with 4 circles, so instead of compound probability, I added independent probability and dependent probability.  What a great way to stretch our learning!



No comments:

Post a Comment