Thursday, November 18, 2010

Travel Math - Idea from MathJive (KATM 2010 conference)

Today we tried a new idea I learned at the KATM conference in October.  It's called Travel Math.  I basically took all the problems from today's lesson, put one problem per page, and clipped each problem to the testing partitions.


To get the spinner pictures, I took a picture of the worksheet with my Avervision.  No cutting and pasting.  I could simply click and drag the image.




The Rules:
1.  Students are to number their paper 1-24, skipping one to two lines between numbers.
2.  No talking
3.  Must stand up and move to an open spot when they finish a problem.
4.  Extra worksheets are made so if students decide to talk, they must go out to the hallway to finish.

What I had to tweak...
1.  When a student finishes, he/she must go sit along the wall and change any answers to lowest terms.
2.  Have problems #1-4 at one table, #5-8 at another and so forth.  This makes finding the ones you haven't solved at the end easier to find.
3.  Extra worksheets are handy for students who want something to take home with them to study from.
4.  Extra worksheets are good for those that still have a couple of problems left at the end...
5.  Turn chairs out so students can kneel at each spot or slide in a little easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment