- What is your learning style? If you are unsure, please take one of the online learning assessments below. Discuss whether your learning style influences your teaching practices. If so, are there modifications to be made with this realization and how do you plan to implement the changes?
What’s YOUR Learning Style? http://people.usd.edu/~bwjames/tut/learning-style
Ageless Learner: http://agelesslearner.com/assess/learningstyle.html
My learning style is DEFINITELY visual. No doubt about it. When watching movies with closed captioning, I read the script! I think being such a strong visual learner, I tend to teach with lots of visuals. I use my hands (which would be kinesthetic) as visuals for my students all the time. I'm also aware that not only do the students need to see, but hearing me or students explain our thinking and solutions to the problems is important as well. The Smartboard has added some kinesthetic to the visual as well.
I need to do better with addressing the kinesthetic piece. As I demonstrate a concept or vocabulary word "in the air", I need to have my students mimic me so that the learning can stick better for some of them.
- How has Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence theory influenced the way you teach? Discuss a lesson you’ve develop or observed that meets the needs of students’ multiple intelligences. Post links or attachments to exemplars or student examples if possible.
I know that in the past few years, I have paid more attention to this piece to help differentiate my lessons to better reach all students.
A lesson that demonstrates this very well is the Tic-Tac-Toe board for Real Numbers.
This has been an eye-opener for me. I do not have any kinesthetic or interpersonal intelligences listed! Something to change for next year! The other interesting thing was that my main learning style, logical/mathematical, is represented on here multiple times!

No comments:
Post a Comment