Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Close the Door on Hunger Math Project Reflection

The project is done.  The final products have been burned onto a CD and given to the morning news crew.  There were many positives from the project (as I mentioned in an earlier post).

Mr. Naccarato reported to the board the results of this project and how it related to the three R's:  Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships.

I received positive feedback from the librarian after she had seen the public service announcements on the news this morning.  She also has a strong technology background and that would have been another resource I could have utilized as well.

Questions I have at this point:
1)  Was the math focus enough?  What could I have done differently to enhance the math portion?  To answer these questions, we could have put all the graphs on one coordinate plane to compare all the data that each team had gathered.  This would have hit another tested indicator of reading algebraic and geometric models.  Slope also could have been introduced as a way to enhance the math focus of the project.  (Again, the time factor was an issue as the public service announcements had to be completed to get on the news in time to promote the food drive).

Things I would change:
1)  If time would have allowed, I would have liked to have one more day.  This way we could have reviewed the rubric against the project.  Final tweaks here and there could have happened.  
2)  More emphasis on the rubric.  I was pleased by the creativity of the projects, however, I could tell that students did not refer back to the rubric to make sure all elements were included.  We went over the rubric in class, however, my students are not to the point yet where they automatically consult the rubric as a reference for their final project.



No comments:

Post a Comment