Friday, December 17, 2010

Google Docs Survey

As a closing activity for the Food Drive project, I had students complete a survey on Google Docs.  Their reflections of the project is going to help me reflect on my role in this lesson.


One thing I learned...keep the surveys short.  It's always nice to collect a lot of data (I had 16 questions on this survey!), however, once the data is collected, it must be sifted through.  Something I am still working on!

Here's what I found out:
1)  92% of projects included the total items needed.
     89% of projects included the total cost.
     87% of projects included the graph.
     Only 59% of the projects included the equation.
     Only 57% of the projects included the table of values.
This tells me the same thing as my own reflection after the project.  We needed to go over the rubric again prior to handing in the projects.  I did a quick informal survey and asked how many checked the rubric before the completion of their project.  Only a few hands went up in one class.  There's my answer.

2)  When students rated how engaged they were in the project from 1-10, with 10 being the totally engaged, the average score for this project was a 7.75.  So basically, 25% of the time, students were not totally engaged in the task.

Things I already did to help keep students on task...
1)  Each group made a list of things to accomplish and divided up the tasks among group members.
2)  I became the facilitator...moving from group to group.
3)  Reviewed steps in the process at the beginning of each hour.
4)  Use of Atomic Learning

How do I decrease the amount of time off task?
1)  Reinstate group roles...with specific tasks for each role.
2)  Have a policy for when groups have questions...different colored post it notes on laptop screen to indicate group status

3)  On a scale from 1-10, with 10 being that students saw the connection from the project with the math indicators we were studying (algebraic representations), the class score was a 7.84.

4)  When asked if projects helped (5) or hindered (1) how students learn math, the class average was 3.81.  To be honest, I was hoping for a higher average score.  I was hoping that students would tell me that learning from projects was the way to go!  Maybe I need to do a better job of teaching the concepts before hand.  We had worked on algebraic representations prior to the project, but maybe more work was needed beforehand for students to see success in the project.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment