Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Resurrecting an Old Lesson Plan

It's time for me to really start thinking about what I'm going to be teaching my Moving On Up class after Christmas.  This class is typically a review class over assessed indicators.  What a perfect set-up for project-based learning as the concepts have already been taught!  If you've been keeping up with my blog, you will remember how I stressed over finding the perfect PBL to implement into my classroom...deciding the ever-expanding recycling project.  Lots of hours have gone into planning, finding resources, and developing this idea.  However, now that the time is approaching at a rather rapid rate to implement these ideas, I'm having second thoughts on devoting the entire class to this project for several reasons.  1)  Even at this point, I'm not totally certain on the direction that this project is going to take.  That makes me nervous.  2) A large chunk of the project is based on technology and I'm thinking now that we've taken the interim, we need a bigger math focus to get these scores up.

As I monitored the interim testing, a thought from long ago popped into my mind...the Dartboard project.  It included a lot of math.  It would be a great review.  It would be project-based.  It already has one run-through in the classroom.  So, I pulled it up out of the archived lesson plans.  Good gravy!  It was already in PBL format.  Must have been one of my first attempts at this.  I'm sure I'm going to have to do a lot of tweaking...will try to incorporate more technology into the existing plan.

I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to take.  At least to start off with.  If time remains at the end of the six weeks, we might plug in a scaled-down model of the recycling project.  Thinking I bit off more than I could chew with that one!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment