Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book Study - Ch. 2 & 3 - Brain-based Teaching in the Digital Age

  1. Review the most recent brain research highlighted on p. 18-23 in Chapter 2 and discuss relevant observations made in the classroom. What recommendations can you make to incorporate current research into the classroom? 
     I see the concept of Mirror Neurons happening in my classroom.  I had to chuckle with the yawning example as that has happened frequently!  :)  However, on a more positive note, I use this concept to role model products, examples, and even my thinking.  Students have commented that if they tied my hands behind my back, I wouldn't be able to teach.  Now, I see that according to the concept of Mirror Neurons they wouldn't be able to learn either!  The hand gestures I use to model mathematical relationships happens on a daily basis. 
     It gave me some hope that brains are seen as "plastic" and can continue to change.  I also loved the exercise component about increasing cognitive function.  Such a simple change to incorporate...movement to help increase learning.  There have been times that I will get the students up to move, do jumping jacks as a way to stimulate the learning process.  I just never knew that there was research out there to back it up!
2.  Discuss successful strategies you’ve used or observed in the classroom to encourage meta-cognition.
3.  Share some first hand examples of brain-based principles observed or implemented in the classroom and consider ways to increase such experiences for students. 
     Connecting to prior knowledge - this is easily done in the math classroom.  To "prime the pump" so to speak, we start with something that the students can relate to, whether it's math concept related or a real life application...something where the students can "hang their hat" of new knowledge.
     I feel it's essential in the math classroom to move from the concrete to the abstract level.  While teaching how to solve algebraic equations, we first start with a balance scale so students can see and manipulate the parts of the equation.  Then we move to the abstract, the symbolic form of the equation, and solve showing the steps algebraically.
     Practice - this is one area where I struggle.  I want my students to have practice, so in order for them to do this, I feel it needs to be in class.  Where once it was homework, it now is classwork.  The work that is sent home is not completed.  However, my main philosophy is that one must practice the math they are to learn.  It is through working through the steps that one can get better.
     Many times I use stories (fiction or stories from experience) to help make a connection for students.  
     Technology has also found its place in my classroom.  The collaboration that takes part when using technology, the hands-on, and the fascination students have with technology, are all positive motivators that move my students' thinking.  
4.  What successful strategies have you observed or implemented to reduce stress in the classroom?
I have used music a lot in my classroom...trying to use songs with 60 beats per minute.  During testing, we have also use the scent of peppermint (oil on cottonballs throughout the classroom and also peppermint candies to suck on).

No comments:

Post a Comment