Snow days...as a teacher, they are always a welcome break! A gift from above...literally! :) Well, as excited as I was to hear that we had the day off today, I knew that it threw a major wrench in my lesson plans. Today, I was supposed to introduce students to the how to's of the TI-82 calculator so that they would be able to complete a graphing calculator activity tomorrow with the substitute.
Without the how-to lesson, my students would not be able to work through the graphing calculator activity I had originally planned. So what to do? What can I plan for them to do that is meaningful...that moves them forward...that is not just fluff? I consulted the internet. Surely an answer awaited me somewhere there in it's wide expanse of everything.
I googled "TI-82 tutorials", got 273,000 hits, but it was the second hit that really intrigued me. Good gravy! I found the perfect site! This site was a tutorial on almost everything that I had been going to teach my students myself.
After creating a study guide to help make students accountable for their time, I was ready for my substitute teacher! My lesson using technology was saved by technology.
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment