Thursday, January 13, 2011

Impressed

I didn't know fully what to expect going into this project, "Where in the World...?"  I just decided to trust my instincts, knowing that the project was connecting to real world application and higher levels of thinking than just completing worksheets.

I am not disappointed.  Some of the highlights I've seen so far:

~ a student interviewed his father about the use of Pythagorean's Theorem in carpentry/construction.  What a great way for father and son to share some time together.

~ a gifted student has found an equation used by chemists that looks very similar to Pythagorean's Theorem

~ the newly learned skill of evaluating websites...students seem to be doing a good job of finding websites pertinent to their assignment.

~ the use of rubrics...this is the most I've seen this year.  We are making progress!!  (see other post)

~ the variety of careers covered...astronomy, chemist, game programmer, plummer, underwater navigation, construction, architect, engineer, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment