Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chapter 1 - Brain-Based Teaching and Learning Strategies in the 21st Century.

As part of the TRC experience, I have opted to participate in the book study, Brain-Based Teaching and Learning Strategies in the 21st Century by Marilee Sprenger.  Chapter 1 questions and my thoughts are listed below.  I have to apologize if they seem a little sporadic.  No, I was not back and forth on my cell phone, email, instant messaging!  I actually am at home today with a sick first grader and have had to get up and down to deal with his output.  Sorry!  Couldn't help myself...had to interject a little technology humor in a situation that literally can make be gag!  :)

  1. How does the information about ‘the changing brain’ influence your teaching practices?
I had to LOL when I read the part about " 'performing' more in your classroom or putting on a 'dog and pony show' ".  I have felt that way for several years now.  In some ways, it has helped me to reach the various multi-intelligences...I'll sing, I'll read a story, I vary my presentations (Smartboard, document camera, video, etc).  The other day I literally thought about teaching from the top of a classroom table!  Talk about getting their attention!

On a different note, it does make sense.  Students jump from one task with very little effort.  I find myself doing the exact same thing.  In fact, as I was reading the first chapter, I noticed that I had an email.  However, using self control, I kept my focus on what I was reading, finishing the chapter before I check my inbox.  However, like my students, I find that when I jump from one thing to another, I never get that true feeling of a job well done.  That feeling only comes after I have spent quality time on something and know that I did my best work.  Jumping back and forth never allows me to put forth my best work.

2.  What new considerations will you make to meet the needs of the changing brain?

I will continue to do what I've already implemented...a variety of instructional techniques.  Knowing the brain research is also important to keep in mind so when I get frustrated over the "lack of attention" I can be reminded that it might be me that needs to be changing things.  

I also thought the fact where they said that students don't necessarily have to start at the beginning and move to the end was interesting.  This is a total change from traditional learning.

One more thing...students have the need to feel constantly connected to others via technology.  I can use this information to make sure that I am connecting with them at a face-to-face level...aiding in the need to feel connected but also giving them opportunities to practice interactions with others.

3.  Discuss successful strategies you’ve used, observed, or hope to use in the classroom to address 'the changing brain'. 

Things I've already done to address this:  
~ variations in turning in assignments (using the Kan-Ed packpack)
~ vary activities, instructional strategies
~ use technology whenever I can to tap into their "strengths"

Would like to figure out how to implement a blog or wiki as a communication tool.  A little hesitant to do this because of issues relating to disrespect and bullying.  How do I keep it a safe activity?

4.  Discuss digital dilemmas that you see in your school as well as strategies to address these concerns.

Would like to figure out how to implement a blog or wiki as a communication tool.  A little hesitant to do this because of issues relating to disrespect and bullying.  How do I keep it a safe activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment