Feeling good about my decision to integrate another technology project. This project is different from the ones we did first semester.
1) Will be completed individually by the students.
2) It is the first project to incorporate research.
Today's goal was to have a mini lesson on how to evaluate a website. I did a quick informal survey of the students if they had received some sort of instruction in this area, and the response was very few. Even though this lesson was not directly related to a tested indicator, I knew that it was information that students could use in other classes and down the road in high school. The main points I wanted students to leave with were:
~ Check for an author and his expertise
~ Check the date
~ Look for contact information
~ What is the URL address (.com, .org, .edu, .gov, etc)
We used the these sample sights to evaluate.
At the end of class, we quickly reviewed the main aspects of the project, by going over the project handout and the rubric. To help remind the students of the importance of the rubric, I made a simple checklist on the back and copied it on green paper. Tomorrow will be the first work day as students start gathering their data.
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment