Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Online Textbook Using LiveBinders

For years I have not formally used a textbook in my math class.  Sure, I have a textbook, and we bring it out once or twice a year...but there are just too many "good" problems and projects out there to be limited to what is between the cover of an 8th grade textbook!

Students create their own "textbook" as we work our way through the year.  These student made textbooks are never as I imagine them to be.  Well...some are very organized in the sections we establish at the beginning of the year, but most are fluffy and furry...meaning that papers are not organized and stored neatly in the binder.  Papers seem to be trying to escape, and many do it seems, according to my late and missing assignments in my gradebook!

Parents have often voiced their questions and concerns about not being able to help their student with math since there is no textbook.  I have tried to help with that issue by offering math help tips and good websites to use as resources.

LiveBinder has offered a solution to all of this!  I have organized my curriculum into an online textbook with resources and assignments contained in one site.  (Note:  The binder is not complete as it is a work in progress right now.)  Students and parents will now have resources at their fingertips!

No comments:

Post a Comment