Started reading Chapter 5 last night...Differentiated Learning.
Got to about page 3 and had to take a detour.
Thoughts were crowding my brain
Jumping in as fast as I could think them
on what I could do with my next unit to differentiate instruction
And I had to get them down on.
We're going to be learning how to solve for x
In one, two, or multi-step equations.
I already had planned a pre-test to find out student understanding
In hopes of being able to get through the material a little faster.
Then I WAS going to teach how to solve one-step equations to the WHOLE class.
Then two-step to the WHOLE class.
Then multi-step to the WHOLE class.
You get the picture.
I was going to go through this unit the same way I always had.
I wasn't moving.
The lesson was getting stale.
But, then Chapter 5 barges in
And challenges me shake things up.
Instead of focusing on WHOLE class instruction
Focus on the various learning styles: visual, auditory, kinesthetic.
Instead of teaching the concept using the multi-learning styles to ALL students
Have various activities matched up to where students are in the learning process.
Wow!
What an out-of-the-world idea!
But yet at the same time...a no brainer.
Duh!
Here are my thoughts from last night.
And then as I drifted off to sleep,
My wandering brain continued to process how I would communicate this assignment to my students.
I would put it in my livebinder online textbook
in the form of a table
with links to all the sites they would need.
Total technology differentiating instruction for ALL students.
Love it!
Moving forward is a good thing. If you don't move, you become stagnant. If you become stagnant, you smell. (I'm going with a creek bed analogy here...stay with me). "It Is What It Is" helps us to keep our sanity as we try new things, but at the same time we should never settle for "what it is". We should constantly reflect and learn to move our teaching and our student's learning to higher levels so the classroom doesn't turn stale.
Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment