Thursday, February 16, 2012

Encouraging Self Learners

Some days I feel like I need more spoons in my room.
Students seem to want to be spoon fed the answer
instead of going through the process themselves.

Today we opened up with the conversation of "how does one learn something new?"
Students had some great input:
     Ask someone
     Learn from our mistakes
     Internet
     Books

We talked about real life examples where each of these learning styles had been used.

I was excited as I prepared to share a learning experience from this last weekend.
Being the pinterest fan that I am, I so wanted to make one of those t-shirt scarves.
I shared the sight with the students and we explored my learning style:  visual.
The sight had a step-by-step guide written out!

Pictures to show each step,


And even a tutorial video!


We then paralleled this with the task they were to do:
Learn how to solve equations for x using your dominant learning style.


As students got started with this differentiated lesson, I observed/learned several things:
1)  Students were taking charge of their learning and taking notes...on their own!  I was able to drift around the room, observing their process, correcting when necessary.
2)  Students were using the practice sheets to help guide their learning.  They were looking ahead to see where their learning needed to go!
3)  Students were asking questions...enter the spoon.  Questions are good.  It's just that they want an immediate answer.  I referred them back to their learning style on the chart.
4)  It is an important skill for students to figure out HOW to learn.  By identifying their learning style , they have made a huge first step in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment