Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Thoughts Thus Far...Pros/Cons...Costs/Benefits

I'm going to have to bring this PBL to a close.
And soon.
It hit me today.
We're almost in the middle of February.
That means, March is upon us.
After March is the BIG DANCE!
I need to get busy.
In a perfect world, I would continue to let this PBL take me down it's natural path.
However, I don't have all the time needed and duty calls.

Which leads to a question.
I wonder if I let this take it's natural course...
would I eventually end up at the standards that still need to be learned?
Hmmmm????
Something to ponder.

But not now.
First things first.
I must reflect.
I got to thinking about the pros and cons I have seen with this PBL.
Here are my thoughts as of Feb. 7th at 9:58 pm.
(It's my bedtime...but I have to get this down.
I won't publish is until tomorrow in case more thoughts fill my sleeping brain!)

PROS
1.  I have been able to have conversations with students and truly get an idea of where they are at in their mathematical understanding.
2.  Multiple methods have been demonstrated in solving problems.
3.  Ironically, in contrast to #2 in the con column, I feel like my lessons have been better meeting the needs as I reflect after each day and adjust the next day's lesson to carry on where we left off.
4.  I was able to cover multiple indicators.

CONS
1.  Time - This unit has taken a lot of time.
2.  Cannot accurately plan in advance.
3.  There's not enough of me (Planning ahead with the learning centers and how-to sheets should help this)
4.  Students are not used to (?) this type of learning and transfer of knowledge has been more difficult.  Quiz scores are not showing 75% mastery.  More reteaching is needed.

QUESTIONS
1.  How do I finish the scale drawing piece as we are totally out of time and some students were not able to finish?
2.  How do I want to grade the scale drawing?  It was just a "step" in the whole process.
3.  Could I have woven in more indicators to help justify the time factor?
4.  How do I help the transfer of knowledge for students?  What activities, lessons, skills need to be added to help with this?

OBSERVATIONS
1.  I like the benchmark lessons.  I have control.
2.  I like control.  It gives me peace.
3.  Frustration can be...well...frustrating.  However, how many times do I preach to my students that when you are frustrated, that's when learning will occur?  I'm sure it works for teacher's as well.  I should look at all these moments of "What do I do now?" as wonderful learning experiences.  What was I thinking?  :)
4.  The more I think about it, the more it's true.  When my brain is frustrated, I'm constantly trying to make peace of the situation by coming up with a plan that will work.  Learning is occurring!

No comments:

Post a Comment