Monday, February 13, 2012

A Differentiated Lesson - Ch. 5

As I continue to read Students Taking Charge, I keep learning all of these really cool things!
One of the ways to learn something is to apply them.
Sooo....I am applying these concepts as I go.
Of course, my overall goal is to someday create an ALU unit that includes ALL these features.
But with time being a constraint...
     I don't have enough time to read the entire book...
           I don't have enough time to develop an entire unit...
                   I don't have enough time in my overall class schedule at this point in the year...
I'm going to have to apply on the fly,
One concept at a time.

Today I finished all the details to my differentiated lesson on solving equations
(once in my LiveBinder, look under the solving equations tab).
I love how it addresses all the learning styles!
I love how it is organized in various levels.
I tried to include relevance in my opening statement.  (It might be a little weak).
I ramped up the rigor with making it student-centered...although it might still only be applying.

Introduction
Being able to solve algebraic equations is an important skill.  Not only will you need it for every upper level math course you take in the future, but also to solve real life situations.  
Let's say you have $25 in a savings account and plan to save $5 every week to buy a new X-Box.  An X-Box costs $300.  The equation that would help you solve this would be written 25 + 5x = 300.  Once you solve for x, you would know how long you would need to save your money.
                                                  


Let's Go!


So, let's get started.  Think back to the pre-quiz you just took.  Which kind of problems were easy?  Which ones were more difficult.
  
1.  First, choose the column (gold) that best fits your learning needs.  These questions may help you. (If you read through the following questions and you still aren't quite sure, start with the concept that is easiest.  For example, if you are thinking you fall somewhere between one-step (a) and two-step (b), start with one-step to assure you know what's going on.  You can quickly quiz out and move to the next level.
      a.  Can I solve equations that only require one step?  For example:  x/4 = 12, 5 + x = 32, x - 43 = 17, etc.
      b.  Can I solve equations that require two steps to arrive at the answer:  For example:  -3x + 5 = 18,
           2/3x + 4 = 5, etc.
      c.  Can I solve equations that require multi-steps?  Using the distribute property or variables on both sides of 
           the equations?


2.  Next, find the learning style row (blue) that best fits how your learn new material.  
     How do you learn best?  
     Do you have to see it (visual)?  
     Hear it (auditory)?  
     Practice it yourself (kinesthetic)?


3.  Complete the learning activity from the chart below and the corresponding practice sheet (in manilla envelopes on back counter).


REMEMBER:  Your goal is to learn these concepts so you can "quiz out" and move to the next level.  You may move through the lessons at your own speed.  Once you think you have mastered the column you've been working on, follow these steps.
       1.  Grade the practice sheet.  Use a pen.  You may write down the correct answer if you so choose.
       2.  Show how you would correct each problem missed using the same pen you graded in.
       3.  Meet with Mrs. McCabe to conference about your learning.  
       4.  Take quiz.  You may start on the next column, unless Mrs. McCabe instructs you otherwise.




Need Some Help
One-Step Equations

Ready For This
Two-Step Equations
Already Know This
Multi-Step Equations
I'm a Visual Learner!Follow the How-To Sheet 1 or How-To Sheet 2 for solving one-step equations

Following the How-To Keynote for solving two-step equationsFollow the How-To website for solving multi-step equations
I'm an Auditory Learner!Listen to YouTube videoKhan Academy, or Khan Academy 2 for solving one-step equations

Listen to videofractions video, or Khan Academy for solving two-step equationsAttend a mini lesson to learn how to solve equations with variables on both sides, using the distributive property, etc
I'm a Kinesthetic
Learner!
Using bags/blocks 1, students solve one-step equations.

Using bags/blocks or the interactive NLVM website, students solve two-step equationsLearn the "dance" or play Rags to Riches for solving multi-step equations.

Once you have demonstrated mastery of all three columns, you will have the chance to become a peer tutor.  A peer tutor will be responsible for developing a lesson to teach someone how to solve a 2-step equation.  The lesson must address at least 1 learning style and can be in any format:  how-to video, hands-on, lecture with practice problems, etc.  Students needing peer tutoring can sign up on Friday.  Peer tutors will get 10% extra credit on their multi-step equation score if their tutoree passes the 2-step equation quiz with at least a 75% mastery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment