I'm frustrated.
According to the book, this is normal.
I am to keep trudging through the muckiness.
Sometimes it really feels like I'm wading through molasses
And not getting anywhere
As I try to steer my class in the direction I'm envisioning the project to go.
Here is what I'm encountering:
1. This is taking much longer than I had first envisioned!
I keep adding to my plans after each lesson. Each day's lesson gives me insight as to what needs to come next. I guess that is some good news. I am learning along the way. I am letting the students take the lead to help guide which way the lessons go. Although this guiding is usually focused on what the students DON'T know instead of what they WANT to know. Today I did get a glimmer of WANTING TO KNOW. As we discussed what m stood for the in the equation, y=mx+b, a student suddenly piped up, "But what does b stand for?"
I have to remind myself that this project encompasses more indicators than just one...thus the time taken to review and learn increases as well.
2. I'm starting to focus on the positive.
Yes...I have read all the posters and quotes about looking at the positive side of things. Let me tell you, it's true. I have to look at all the positive things from each class so that I can see we are making progress.
Yes...I have read all the posters and quotes about looking at the positive side of things. Let me tell you, it's true. I have to look at all the positive things from each class so that I can see we are making progress.
Today's list of positives:
a. A group and I figured out the missing piece of information that was not allowing them to get their diagram drawn correctly.
b. Students were able to write an algebraic equation (with my help) for their staircases. We made the leap from geometry to algebra!
c. One entire class was able to write the slopes for their staircases in less than a minute. Yeah!
3. And the MOST frustrating thing of all? Keeping kids motivated.
Most students have buy in to the project and are going strong.
But...there are a few
That take constant reminders from me to get busy.
I can tell when I talk with their groups that they have no idea what's going on.
Why?
Why do some seem to run with it
And others drag their heals?
Is it because the material is more rigorous?
Are they not seeing the relevancy? Is it not relevant to them?
How do I get them engaged and keep them engaged?
How do I get them to be asking the questions to keep the learning moving along instead of me asking them the questions?
That's it!
I'm wanting them to be asking the questions...
Showing me that they are so into the problem they need to know this to be able to move on.
Instead I seem to be getting indifference.
Thus...enter my frustration.
How do I get them engaged and keep them engaged?
How do I get them to be asking the questions to keep the learning moving along instead of me asking them the questions?
That's it!
I'm wanting them to be asking the questions...
Showing me that they are so into the problem they need to know this to be able to move on.
Instead I seem to be getting indifference.
Thus...enter my frustration.
And then I turn to myself?
What could I be doing?
I am providing stepping stones along the way to help guide the connections.
I'm still wanting THE STUDENTS to make the connections...
Which requires THEM to be minds-on.
I will continue to read
and plug on
and read,
and look for the positive,
and hope that learning is actually occurring through all of my efforts.
I will continue to read
and plug on
and read,
and look for the positive,
and hope that learning is actually occurring through all of my efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment