I thought, going into our new concept today, that after we took the quiz (complete with CPS clickers) that my use of technology would be non-existent in the next couple of days. I surprised myself my thinking at the last moment, that I could record our fraction conversation using the Smartboard recorder. So, I hooked up my Smartboard and low and behold, it actually worked without the blinking red light occuring. (I have probably just jinxed myself now!)
Our math conversation was great...the Smartboard worked okay. Recording went off without a hitch, however, for some reason, I was writing on an "overlay" and when I clicked out of it, all of our notes went with it as well. Luckily, I am able to teach the same lesson again today so we'll try it again.
Recording worked. Third times a charm. Now I just wish the Blogger would accept my video so I had proof!
Our lesson started with students thinking of a whole number and a fraction that they considered easy to multiply together. Our Smartboard notes are shown below.


Okay, loading a video onto Blogger takes more expertise than I have. Personally, I think there is a glitch in the system as I've perused the help section and there are quite a few other people having the exact same problem that I've been having loading a video. I hope the "people in charge" figure this out soon! Anyway, to remind myself of the lesson we did on the Smartboard, I have provided still shots of the simple, easy problems that the students created. It was amazing all the math we were able to pull from this simple question.1. Reviewed HOW to multiply fractions.
2. Introduced the Identity Property.
3. Demonstrated what a multiplication problem with a fraction looks like in pictures.
4. Connected how multiplying by unit fractions is the same as dividing by the denominator.
5. Short-cut for multiplying by 11.
6. The objective for the lesson: When multiplying by a fraction, the solution is less than the whole number you started out with!
No comments:
Post a Comment